X-server crash?

yotestalker linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 16 15:33:08 UTC 2012

On 12/16/2012 10:08 AM, yotestalker wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 09:53 AM, Martin Airs wrote:
>> On Sunday 16 Dec 2012 09:17:55 yotestalker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Would that be 00-nvidia.conf by any chance? It contained the correct
>>> lines minus the font line, which I added to no avail.
>>>
>>> xorg.conf itself only contains these lines:
>>>
>>> # RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
>>> #
>>> Section "Device"
>>>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>>     Driver      "nvidia"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Here's a pastebin link to my Xorg.0.log:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/s59p3fYY
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> its as i suspected, this is in your log.....
>>
>> Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
>> log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
>> server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
>> you continue to encounter problems, Please try
>> reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
>>
>> i too have the 00-nvidia.conf but for some reason i still needed to
>> put those
>> in my xorg.conf
>>
>> otherwise maybe you could do as suggested and reinstall the nvidia
>> drivers
>>
>> at the moment it seems to be loading the wrong GLX module
>>
>> odd i know
>>
>> Martin
>>

> I reinstalled the nvidia drivers umpteen times. I suspected you were
> going to say to add them directly to xorg.conf, but preferred to err on
> the side of caution and wait for further instructions. Trying it now.
> Thanks!

Well, that failed miserably. X wouldn't start at all. I had to edit grub
to get to a command line, yum remove kmod-nvidia*, reinstall
kmod-nvidia, and then rebooted. The lines in xorg.conf are now back to:

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Videocard0"
     Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Any other ideas...without you guys I'm way out of my element...