Getting to F18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Dec 16 22:06:37 UTC 2012

Am 16.12.2012 22:53, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 12/16/2012 12:11 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> * trying to understand everything on my systems
>>    that is why i hate useless changes in fedora
>>    they often force to relearn things without benefit
>> * not confirm dialogs blindly
>> * not enter my root-password where it is no expected to be needed
>> * not run random binaries
>> * disable javascript and plugins in FF and use "noscript"-extension
>> * not click on every funny link
>> * not use skype and such crapware
>> * use chkrootkit and rkhunter on any machine
>
> Thank you.  Asked and answered. As all I have are one desktop and one laptop,
> with nothing but private data on them, I don't need to take as many precautions
> as a professional does

this assumption is the root of all evil

i have seen mails from ISP's to people because they sent
a couple million of spam mails in background without
realize this

i saw mails from the police to the same people some weaks
later proving that they made illegal activities because
their machine was remote controlled and misused

98% of all attacks and spam out there are from machines where
the owner said "oh i do not need more security and do not care"

90 % of this are home-machines beeing part of a botnet and the
rest vservers of users missing any admin skill but think to
need a root-server