Simple Question Re: FedUp

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 17 01:12:47 UTC 2012

Am 17.12.2012 02:04, schrieb Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.:
> I'm not sure if there's a SIMPLE problem....but I remember using preUpgrade to go from F16 to F17 and there seemed
> to be an issue with it after the upgrade was complete. I would try to login after restarting and I got an error
> message that wouldn't go any further....in the end I had to install F17 from a clean install DVD. (which worked!)
> and I haven't had any problems since then.....

i have never re-installed any fedora since FC3 all updates
where done per YUM expect wto with pre-upgrade/anaconda which
both more or less failed

in summary these are some hundret successful dist-upgrades with YUM

you only need to read careful and understand the section in the wiki
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_17_-.3E_Fedora_18

yum-upgrades are only supported because people do not understand
that any other upgrade-method has the same unknown state from
the first day of the releae because regulary updates are changing
ALYWAS the base from where you upgrade

the benefit of a yum-upgrade is that you can verify/repair things BEFORE
reboot and even if things are going terrible wrong: there is no single reason
for a clean re-install of a linux-os, ther is nothing which can not be repaired

and no you do NOT lose data even if you re-install except you did the mistake
not seperate data from the OS in a own partition