Getting to F18

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 17 08:28:52 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> The honour system, in the computing fraternity, at least, died long
>> ago.
>>
>> Viruses, trojans, spyware, facebook...

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
> And yet...I don't hear often of many Linux machines getting hacked or
> being infected with viruses, as much as other OS'es....(don't want to
> sound like a flamer!) so there must be SOME sort of "honor amongst
> theives"!....

You do hear about some, but then I don't really hear about lots of
Windows being hacked, either.  I'm sure many more than we'd think of, on
either camp, regularly get hacked.  So-called admins often make the
daftest of choices when it comes to configuring systems.

I also wonder how many hacked Linux boxes don't get discovered for a
long time, because they don't grind to a halt as much as hacked Windows
machines do.  Lots of Windows users regularly wipe and re-install,
thinking Windows has gone bad, by itself, again, like it continually
does.  That's got to fix up lots of infestations in a hidden way.

I'm disappointed that my inclusion of "facebook" in that "bad" list
didn't even get a wry smiley...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 4 13:26:04 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.