automatic helpers which really suck!

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 22:15:59 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 03:17 AM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> Mine actually gets used as a tool, fiddling around with it is the
>>> last thing I want to do.  It wastes my time having to tweak things to
>>> get them to do what I want them to.
>
> Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
>> I on the other hand am curious to see the inner-workings of some of
>> the apps on my Fedora 17 laptop. ...but I also don't want to have to
>> change or edit something every time I need to get something done....si
>> I guess there's a sweet spot / middle ground that some folks can fit
>> into. I'm past the "point-and-click" phase of computing, and am going
>> to want to constantly learn how to do things, but I'm also no
>> programmer-level, super-computing, genius who can do all things with a
>> few lines of code.....
> Oh, I'll try out new and interesting sounding software, learn how to set
> up a new service, et cetera.  But what I don't want to do is continually
> fiddle with the desktop, itself, nor have to learn new ways to do the
> same thing, over and over again (whether that be NFS requiring a new
> configuration methodology to do exactly what it was doing in the prior
> release, or what new hoops have to be jumped through to get the damn
> nvidia card to work on the same hardware).
>
> I see people who seem to do nothing other than continually change the
> background and menus of their desktop in new and useless ways.  Yes,
> that is a dig at the Gnome developers, as well as fiddle-finger-users.

LoL...oh ok! I get it. Well then I am in agreement with you, I see no
reason to have to "re-learn" how to do things with certain applications
or features...just because some developers or what-have-you decided to
finagle things and make them different. I guess it's just about finding
what suits you and sticking with it?...case & point: I have a LinuxMint
box that's running 9.0 and I'm not changing it for ANY reason! Its not a
machine that I use for anything other that file storage and mail /
contacts replication....it works......doesn't need updates...and isn't
even connected to the internet....so I can see what you mean in a sense...

EGO II

EGO II