automatic helpers which really suck!

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 22:49:43 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 05:03 AM, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
> On 12/17/2012 01:47 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Tim:
>>

>> Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
>>> I on the other hand am curious to see the inner-workings of some of
>>> the apps on my Fedora 17 laptop. ...but I also don't want to have to
>>> change or edit something every time I need to get something done....si
>>> I guess there's a sweet spot / middle ground that some folks can fit
>>> into. I'm past the "point-and-click" phase of computing, and am going
>>> to want to constantly learn how to do things, but I'm also no
>>> programmer-level, super-computing, genius who can do all things with a
>>> few lines of code.....
>>
>> Oh, I'll try out new and interesting sounding software, learn how to set
>> up a new service, et cetera.  But what I don't want to do is continually
>> fiddle with the desktop, itself, nor have to learn new ways to do the
>> same thing, over and over again (whether that be NFS requiring a new
>> configuration methodology to do exactly what it was doing in the prior
>> release, or what new hoops have to be jumped through to get the damn
>> nvidia card to work on the same hardware).
>>
>> I see people who seem to do nothing other than continually change the
>> background and menus of their desktop in new and useless ways. Yes,
>> that is a dig at the Gnome developers, as well as fiddle-finger-users.
>>
> Everyone has their own area of interest, and I believe that all
> 'fiddling', big or small, contributes to improving Open Source Software.

I agree that there are some contributions to O.S.S. that have been
beneficial.....but when a developer or group decides FOR me what THEY
think I WANT or NEED in my OS.....well that' seems to be going down the
"Red/Green/Blue/Yellow-Brick-Road"....a lot of people complained like
crazy when Gnome changed.....others...(myself included!) actually liked
the newer look and feel....eventually because of the firmness of the
Gnome developers (who only recently relented and decided to include some
form of "throwback to an earlier time" with the current release) a lot
of people dumped it altogether......well now..BOTH camps can be
satisfied....others who liked /neither/ version went the way of
MATE....Cinnamon....or KDE....XFCE....etc. As long as there's "Choice"
then fiddling shouldn't be a big problem.....not in a community of
people who adhere to the power of choice as a major principle...its when
you lock people into a format....file-type....style....version....etc.
that's when fiddling can become hazardous...

EGO II