automatic helpers which really suck!

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:10:59 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 05:37 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/17/2012 02:15 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> just because some developers or what-have-you decided to finagle things
>> and make them different.
>
> This reminds me of an interesting way to describe political movements
> on a two-axis graph that a friend of mine
> (http://www.jerrypournelle.com) came up with for his dissertation for
> a PhD in Poly Sci: one axis goes from trying to persuade people
> strictly by logic or reason ("Just listen to what we have to say and
> you'll see we're right.") all the way to movements that depend only on
> emotion; the other axis shows how much the members want change for its
> own sake.  (This goes all the way from "nothing must ever change" to
> "if it's new it must be better than what we have now.")  I mention
> this because from where I sit, much of what's new in Gnome 3 is change
> for the sake of change with nobody asking if the new is at least as
> good as the old.  (Yes, I know that there are many people who love
> Gnome 3 but there are also a large percentage of people who either
> left Gnome because they found the changes unacceptable or who probably
> should because they're finding it that hard to adapt.)
I agree, but I was always under the impression that in the Linux/open
source community there IS no "right way / wrong way" mentality.....I
thought I could do as I see fit with my OS?.......my desktop
environment......my applications.....where my panels and taskbars are
located and how they act....if someone were to come along and try to
FORCE me to use something that THEY think is "better for me"....well I'd
be hard pressed for them to prove to me WHY their way or method would be
better than the way I do it now....but at the end of the day, it all
boils down to personal choice...those who didn't like Gnome did indeed
"jump ship" and found a viable replacement....from MATE and Cinnamon
through to the XFCE...KDE...and LXDE desktops....others......simply
adapted......and still others...decided to rally a movement to get the
developers to change what they "changed"!...

EGO II