Transfering files to a Samsung Galaxy III

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 18 15:38:39 UTC 2012

> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 09:21 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> Tethering is only going to work if your Carrier allows it.
>> I think there are two forms of tethering.  Tethering to transfer files,
>> and tethering for Internet access.
> Personally I use tethering to mean the latter. The former is called
> "plugging in a USB cable".

Unfortunately, I have to call it as they label it if I want to get
anyone else with a similar phone to the same function.

And actually that option servers both purposes.  Though hotspot is also
a WiFi hosting function as well.  Well I will be in a meeting with my VP
tomorrow and hopefully can get some action on the hotspot issue.

> Not that I expect to influence usage:
> computing technology is replete with overloaded terminology, leading to
> the occasional entertaining flamewar when people are talking about two
> different things.

I have lived this word reuse issue for some 40 years since I first dealt
with someone talking about 'ecologize' (I have duo degrees from Mich
State '72:  Botany (succession dynamics) and Computer Sci).  Even
English just does not have enough words or acronyms (what does ATM mean
to you? :) ) to go around.

>> The later Verizon charges for.  And
>> for some reason my Corporate VERIZON account (I work for Verizon
>> Enterprise Services) does not have this option!  I am taking this to my
>> VP later this week.  Ridiculous.  This is why my manager told me to get
>> the Galaxy; for Internet access so he does not have to pay hotspot bills
>> for me!
> That's one reason I bought a SIM-free Galaxy Nexus. No nonsense from
> carriers trying to "improve the phone experience". Also I get the latest
> Android updates :-)

I have to get what is provided if I want them to pay for it.  And it is
not a bad deal.  I go to Asia or Europe for a meeting and am on a 1 hour
conference call back 'home' and never see the bill.  I don't have to
scurry around for a good VoIP connection.  Last May I was walking
through Schipol on a such a call.