firewalld and fail2ban?

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Wed Dec 19 14:43:14 UTC 2012

On 19.12.2012 15:14, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I use fail2ban to stop ssh intrusions but was curious about firewalld.
> I can't find any information yet, but does anyone know if fail2ban
> works with firewalld? Or does some feature of of firewalld make
> fail2ban unnecessary?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I haven't tested fail2ban with firewalld yet, but I can tell you that it
works with ufw (firewall used in Debian). Fail2ban is designed to not
interact with other netfilter based solutions.

Firewalld is a firewall - it only inspects packets and can do some basic
processing of ip traffic like blocking by port. Firewalld doesn't
monitor your logs which fail2ban does to know about attempts to log in
to your system. So this two tools doesn't exclude each other.

Mateusz Marzantowicz