Partitioning between SDD and HDD

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:23:16 UTC 2012

On 12/21/2012 11:51 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>
>     You mean that all this hype over SSD's and they're LIMITED? I
>     thought they were supposed to be BETTER than the spinning drives
>     of today? Exaclty how are they better if they come
>     "out-of-the-box" with limitations? Just curious...
>

> It's well known that flash devices have a limited number of writes.
> This number is pretty high, though. And with caching and
> load-balancing built into the drive's firmware, it is typically not a
> major concern.
>
> However, although SSD devices have lightning-fast read performance,
> writing to them is considerably slower. Think of the difference
> between reading a big file from a flash thumb drive versus writing a
> big file. That doesn't mean that you should never write to them, but
> if the intended use involves writing very frequently (like /var or
> /tmp) then it might not be a good fit.
>
> Also, SSD is much more expensive, byte-for-byte, than a hard drive. If
> you want a lot storage (my /home partition is well over a terabyte)
> then SSD is pretty cost prohibitive.
>
> On the other hand, my system drive is SSD and, because of the fast
> read performance, my computer boots, after the BIOS screen, in four
> seconds. From the login screen to my desktop is another 2-3 seconds.
> Starting even very large applications is pretty snappy.

WOW!.....talk about speeding up. Well I have a Gateway laptop so there's
not physical way I could do 2 different types of drives, but I also have
a CentOS desktop, maybe I can do it there, is SSD something that an old
"Pentium 4" PC could use? I think I'll look into this...do some
Googling! Thanks for the info!

EGO II