Fedora 17 is behaving very unstable

Luiz Emediato lgemedia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 02:13:39 UTC 2012

Hi there,
I am finding a lot of problems with Fedora 17. I have installed the
DVD distribution
and after a few days I got a kernel panic after an upgrade.
Fortunately after a few days I could re-upgrade the kernel to a newer
version available.
However many system commands do not obey me.
For instance, it does not allow me to choose wallpaper, it is now complaining
about glibc with errors, why? Everything is fresh install. I have also
tried yum reinstall glibc
unsuccessfully.
It does not let me open System Settings now. All very strange.
By the way, default GNOME is horrible. I have successfully changed it
back to Gnome 2.
However the system seems to be still very unstable. I choose NAMED and
SMBD at Services
but after a reboot systems seems to lose the information so I have to
set it back up manually.
I used RH9 in the past which was wonderful, very stable. Then RHELv5
very stable too but RH
no longer allows academic subscription. So I stuck with Fedora14 which
worked fine too.
Now I am having all these troubles with v17. I have been using Linux
for over twelve years now
and do consider myself an expert with it as much as other Unix OS's.
Should I wait for the new release 18? Why 17 is so unstable? Would
anyone please advise?
Thanks
Luiz