Fedora 17 is behaving very unstable

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 24 14:48:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:13:39AM -0200, Luiz Emediato wrote:
> and after a few days I got a kernel panic after an upgrade.
> Fortunately after a few days I could re-upgrade the kernel to a newer
> version available.
> However many system commands do not obey me.
> For instance, it does not allow me to choose wallpaper, it is now complaining
> about glibc with errors, why?

It would be very helpful if you could give us the exact commands you tried
and the _exact_ error.

> Everything is fresh install. I have also
> tried yum reinstall glibc
> unsuccessfully.

This is rarely going to solve problems except for in very specific cases.

> It does not let me open System Settings now. All very strange.
> By the way, default GNOME is horrible. I have successfully changed it
> back to Gnome 2.

How did you do this?

> I used RH9 in the past which was wonderful, very stable.

And a very long time ago!

> Then RHELv5
> very stable too but RH
> no longer allows academic subscription. So I stuck with Fedora14 which

For what it's worth, Red Hat _does_ still offer academic pricing. But we
should be able to get your Fedora problems solved.