Laptop Intel wireless card as access point (reply nr 2)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Dec 25 21:38:09 UTC 2012

On 12/25/2012 03:36 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:12:01PM +0530, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
>> I wanted to configure the wireless card on my ThinkPad as a wireless
>> access point for my Android phone.  But it seems the Intel iwlwifi
>> drivers do not support "master mode".  Can someone confirm?  In case I'm
>> wrong, could you please point me to any documentation as to how I can
>> configure this?
>
> As a follow up to my first reply.
>
> I got curious and found the following:
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd
>
> Seems like a lot of work.

When doing this a few months ago, it was quite easy.
You do not have to download or compile anything on Fedora,
just a couple of easy things in the conf file and it is
working perfectly.

But this was not on iwlwifi, it was a random wifi USB dongle
which happened to have a good chipset.
I'm curious to know if it is possible to do that with iwlwifi.
(the kernel version is important in these cases)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it