Swapping HDD....

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 27 03:28:28 UTC 2012

fred smith writes:

> if that doesn't get you where you need to go, you might try:
> --with the new drive connected via USB
> --boot from the aforementioned live CD
> --create the partitions as you want them
> --pray a while...
> --copy all the files from each partition on the OLD drive into the
>   matching partition on the NEW drive (using something akin to
>   "cp -a /dev/sd<olddrive> </dev/sd<whatever-newdrive>").

I do not believe that cp -a will do the right thing with hard links.

I think you want to use "rsync -a -H -A -X -S".

> --install GRUB on the new drive
> --oh yeah, pray some more :)
> --swap new into the computer and see what you get.

It's going to be easier to swap the drive first, then boot off a live CD or
an installation CD, let it mount the partitions on the hard drive, then drop
to a rescue shell, then chroot /mnt/sysimage and then /sbin/grub2-install.