Swapping HDD....

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Dec 27 08:33:06 UTC 2012

On 26 Dec 2012 at 21:50, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:50:07 -0500
From:           	"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Swapping HDD....

> I am currently using a Gateway T-6321 laptop with a 320 GB  SATA HD.
> I'm finding it's running out of room, with all the pdf's and other
> files I have accumulated. I want to swap it out to a 750GB SATA HDD.
> How can I do this when I don't have another laptop with the same exact
> specs as the Gateway? In other words is it possible to transfer
> everything from my current HDD to the 750GB one using an external USB
> enclosure? will I be able to then install the 750GB HDD and have ALLmy
> settings and ALL my applications transfer over intact? Any help
> someone could provide would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

As others have stated - Clonezilla can do the job, as other similar
programs like g4u and g4l. I've been the maintainer of g4l, and
use Fedora as the build system for the most part, but the kernels
are built from kernel.org source. It can do direct clones, but can
also do disk or partition images to external disk or others via the
network.

I can run g4l directly from the grub menu to make and restore
images.

Good Luck.

Note: It will take some time to clone since the hard disk speed
with be the uncached speed since once the cache is filled you will
only get the physical drive speed.

> EGO II
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        13538639.902672   |   EINSTEIN     9460580.039852
ROSETTA      5677104.958529   |   ABC         15632753.780253