[Bulk] Swapping HDD....

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 27 15:57:34 UTC 2012

Phil Savoie wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 09:50 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> I am currently using a Gateway T-6321 laptop with a 320 GB SATA HD. I'm
>> finding it's running out of room, with all the pdf's and other files I
>> have accumulated. I want to swap it out to a 750GB SATA HDD. How can I
>> do this when I don't have another laptop with the same exact specs as
>> the Gateway? In other words is it possible to transfer everything from
>> my current HDD to the 750GB one using an external USB enclosure? will I
>> be able to then install the 750GB HDD and have ALLmy settings and ALL my
>> applications transfer over intact? Any help someone could provide would
>> be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> EGO II
> Hi,
>
> I just replaced a smaller drive to a larger one much like you want to do.  My
> procedure was the following:
>
> - get a copy of clonezilla and clone the drive to an external usb drive
>
> - replace the small drive with the larger drive
>
> - use clonezilla to populate the larger drive

Some form of physical copy seems to be the lowest risk path for the O.P. who
said command line is not his thing. So clonezilla is a way to go. Making an
exact copy should result in a drive which will just boot, no "populate" step
needed, is there?

> - you will note that the larger drive is a clone of the smaller one, so you will
> need to grow it
>
> - get a copy of the "System Rescue CD", boot off it and use gparted to grow the
> cloned filesystem to fill out the drive

Bearing in mind that "CD" device may not be on this system is it's a laptop. In
which case there will be a question on converting a CD to a USB thumb drive.
Hang in, Eddie, there are answers to all the questions, but a *little*
competence with command line will save you a vast amount of tool finding and
learning in the long run.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>