[OT] Microsoft Bashing

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 27 16:16:33 UTC 2012

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/24/2012 09:38 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Yes, NOOK is limited to B&N approved apps and stuff, and is not a
>> standard Android tablet unless you jailbreak it and install Cyanogenmod
>> Android or similar. Then you can have the NOOK and Kindle readers and
>> buy books as you like.
>
> Right now, I'm using my Nook to read a book that's part of one of the Humble
> Bundles.  I downloaded it from the HB site, opened it and started reading.  No
> jailbreaking.  And, I've also read books on it I downloaded directly from Baen.
> You might want to check some of your "facts."

Apps and system tools, not data. B&N assures me that NOOK will not run apps
which didn't come from their app store, and based on experience when I bought
mine that's true, or was when I tried it. I've had mine for quite a while, maybe
yours will load the Kindle reader from the play store.

NOOK handles e-book and PDF quite well, data is data. I wanted the Kindle reader
so I could read things I have there. With a life long two books a week habit, I
buy where books are on sale, that's not always B&N. With a open Android tablet I
can load both Kindle and Nook readers, the Google books apps, etc.

Technically you are right, you can buy books anywhere, but you can't read them
in some cases, which was my point.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>