Some Fedora 17 Questions

Thomas Dineen tdineen at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 27 20:51:09 UTC 2012

Gentle People:

       I just installed, last night, Fedora 17, on a PC! Things went
very well overall.
Bravo good work!

     Following this I successfully loaded all the updates with thew
update tool,
and again bravo it worked!

But now some questions:

1) The on screen menus, located at the top left of the screen, seem very
dark, to
the point of being almost unreadable. Keep in mind it is not just the
monitor, an HP
w2408h, in that the computer shares the monitor with three others via a
four way switch.
The other computers produce a bright screen, each working as expected.
So is there
any way to adjust this? Keeping in mind that I spent the evening going
through the menus.

2) Periodically parts of the screen, typically the area contained by the
boundaries of menu
entries will go all wonkers, looking like a 1960's TV on an antenna that
has lost horizontal
sync. How do I fix this?

3) I tend to be a fan of the older format of pull down menus, is there
any way to do pull
down menus?

4) Is there any way to totally disable the screen saver, not just
setting it to a few hours?

5) Saving the screen setup: Is there any way to save the current
configuration of the screen,
shell windows, tool windows, and such at logout, so that they reappear
automatically on login?

Thanks for the help.
Thomas Dineen