upgrading f16 (32bit) to F17 (64bit) when /usr is is a partition

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:43:05 UTC 2012

(Sorry for the spam, Alan.)

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:12:43 +0900
> Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Never mind.
>>
>> I'll just chalk another one up to the wrecking crew, install fresh in
>> a 15G partition and figure out where to go from there.
>
> If you are trying to keep /usr separate the "where to go" answer I'm
> afraid is most probably Mint or Ubuntu.
>
> Alan

My main computer's on Debian now.

Shoot. openbsd's X11 configurations would take less time than messing with this.

I think I actually like Debian. When I try something new I'm not
always bumping into people in a hurry to re-invent the world. (Yeah,
yeah, I'd like to get someone to pay me to re-invent the world, too.)

But I need to keep a Fedora box for studying until I can take the new LPIC 2.

Trapped between certification churn and the vendor lock-in tricks that
resulted in a 15G boot partition and this kind of junk. Don't want to
move the fourth basic partition, in case I have some reason to restore
the restore partition sometime. I could just record the partition's
start point, I suppose.

I'm wondering if anyone has ventured to move /usr after the install.
If so, how badly does it bite?

--
Joel Rees