blacklisting domains for yum?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 23:07:18 UTC 2012

Looking in the man pages (man-db itself not in the minimal install?
Wow! It's only 1.7M and not having it continually catches someone
off-guard. I'm sure I'm not going to remember this next time I do a
minimal install.) for yum, not finding a way to black-list domains.

What I'm trying to do, the chinese servers get read early in the
rotation, and they were dogs last night. 1KB/s and slowing down. Not
sure if it's the censoring they are shooting themselves in the foot
with or the line between here and there or overloading on a Friday
night (Porn on the back channels? highly probable in totalitarian and
near-totalitarian countries.) or what. Don't care. I don't trust any
server in China right now, and I have reason not to right now, other
than simple prejudice. (Such as baidu ignoring my no robots
directives.)

So I want to block yum from going to any domain in .cn .

Is there an easy way to do it, either in yum.conf or in yum.repos.d/*
, short of disabling the metalinks and grabbing the list of mirrors
from the mirrors page and deleting the Chinese servers?

(Or setting my own mirrors list up and refreshing it periodically from
mirrors.fedoraproject.org, deleting the Chinese servers as I refresh
them. That would be a lot of work, too.)

--
Joel Rees