upgrading f16 (32bit) to F17 (64bit) when /usr is is a partition

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 00:11:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 29.12.2012 00:20, schrieb Joel Rees:

>>> if selinux is disabled it should be quite easy to move anything
>>> with a livecd and also create the symlinks, what is more a problem
>>> in your subject is upgrade 32bit to 64bit
>>>

>>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root    7 2012-10-05 13:20 bin -> usr/bin
>>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root    7 2012-10-05 13:20 lib -> usr/lib
>>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root    9 2012-10-05 13:20 lib64 -> usr/lib64
>>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root    8 2012-10-05 13:20 sbin -> usr/sbin
>>
>> Solved by a fresh minimal install of FC17 64 bit and starting over
>> from scratch, rebuilding my package set.
>>
>> That is, those are soft links, aren't they? So crossing volume
>> boundaries should be possible? Maybe? Or is there something else that,
>> say, doing a selinux relabel wouldn't resolve?
>
> you CAN not put ALL libraries and binary on a other partition than rootfs
> and UsrMove means ANYTHING is under /usr

So, their claims that ramfs was supposed to solve this problem were
all so much humus. As we knew.

Looking at /usr/share, which seems to be the next biggest block of
stuff, I see plymouth (minor ouch) and systemd (woops) among other
things.

So that's a no-go, too.

(Merging to /usr was the absolute last thing they should have done.
The real solution was to put the executables in their own directories
and provide finer-grained modulization with symbolic links. Wonder if
RedHat would hire me to undo the damage. Not likely after all the
noise I'm making. I'm marked as a trouble-maker, now. Stupid Microsoft
envy.)

Thanks for the heads-up.

(Do I plug along with a minimal Fedora on this netbook, or do I put a
minimal Fedora 32bit back on my main box that needs a 64 bit
motherboard while I'm studying for the LPIC-2, and move the netbook to
Debian? Or maybe Mint? But that's a question for me, not the list.

What I'd really like to do is reverse engineer the update tool for my
wireless router, so I could completely kick the gratis MSWindows junk
to the curb and get rid of the partition limits without paying
Microsoft money for an installable copy of MSWindows. Wonder if docomo
does this kind of silly update-via MSWindows craziness for their
tetherable Android phones? Also not a question for the list.)

--
Joel Rees