Samba and Windows 8

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Dec 29 14:34:11 UTC 2012

On 12/29/2012 07:51 AM, Jon Ingason wrote:
> I have a Windows 8 laptop running version Home of Windows 8. What I want
> to do is using Samba to share my files from my Fedora 17.
>
> I have Googled and what it seems that Home version does not alow
> connecting to domain.
>
> Is there some solution that help me to share files from my Fedora and
> Windows 8?

I have a samba share (PUB) on one of my systems (Mooch) that is open for
guest access on the local network.  I don't see Mooch at all from any of
the Windows 8 gadgets. I opened a command line from the shell and typed

net use /persistent:yes x: \\mooch\pub

The share was mounted and made accessible.

--
-- Steve