Fedora 17 Gnome 3 Desperate Plea

Thomas Dineen tdineen at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 29 18:57:59 UTC 2012

Gentle People:

    A heartfelt plea from a user:

Please, Please, Please if you must keep Gnome 3 then
Keep the "Fall Back Mode" in ALL future versions of Fedora.
Otherwise to me Fedora would be unusable.

    Please read the justification below:

      I just installed, last night, Fedora 17, on a PC! Things went very
well overall.
Bravo good work!

     Following this I successfully loaded all the updates with the
update tool,
and again bravo it worked!

     But, But, But I have found a number of what I consider disastrous
bugs in Gnome 3,
too many to list here!

     But I include a few:

1) The on screen menus, located at the top left of the screen, seem very
dark, to
the point of being almost unreadable. Keep in mind it is not just the
monitor, an HP
w2408h, in that the computer shares the monitor with three others via a
four way switch.
The other computers produce a bright screen, each working as expected.
So is there
any way to adjust this? Keeping in mind that I spent the evening going
through the menus.

2) Periodically parts of the screen, typically the area contained by the
boundaries of menu
entries will go all wankers, looking like a 1960's TV on an antenna that
has lost horizontal
sync.

3) Periodically the letters of the menus become a garbled to the point
of being unreadable!

4) Gnome 3 crashes about once an hour under light loading.

Thank You For Your Time.
Thomas Dineen