Enabling Wireless network without NetworkManager

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Dec 29 21:13:26 UTC 2012

Jim wrote:

> Fedora 17 / KDE
>
> How do I enable Wireless network,
>
> NetworkManager is disabled.
>
> Wired Network is functioning normal.
>
> I'm sure that all I have to do is enable the Wireless Network.
>
> Module rt2800pci is loading and I can read MAC# of wireless card
>
> ifcfg-wlan below
>
> # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
> # for the documentation of these parameters.
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> TYPE=Wireless
> HWADDR=00:15:af:e5:0b:49
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=yes
> PEERDNS=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> ESSID=dd-wrt
> MODE=Managed
> RATE=auto
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> DNS2=8.8.0.0
> DNS1=8.8.8.8
> CHANNEL=

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do.
If you want to enable NM (NetworkManager)
you'd have to change the line NM_CONTROLLED=no to NM_CONTROLLED=yes
in ifcfg-wlan above, and then say
  sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
and
  sudo systemctl start NetworkManager.service
and if you like
  sudo systemctl status NetworkManager.service

Alternatively, you could try using the network service instead:
  sudo systemctl start network.service