min install to graphical, sans gnome, how to start graphical.target

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:03:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 08:02 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> Used the netinstall CD image on a USB stick to install the minimal
>> install -- F17 64 bit.
>>
>> Boots to the text console.
>>
>> yum groupinstalled Window Managers, X Window System, and Xfce.
>>
>> /lib/systemd/system/default.target points to graphical.target .
>>
>> /lib/systemd/system//graphical.target.wants contains
>> display.manager.service which is a link to
>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/display.manager.service .
>>
>> I think I saw a message about gnome not being found at some point in
>> the boot process.
>>
>> gdm is installed, for what it's worth, but man -k gdm doesn't tell me anything.
>>
>> I can login to the text console and do
>>
>> systemctl start graphical.target
>>
>> and get the X11 login and login to the xfce desktop. Functions fine
>> from there. Reboot brings me back to the console login.
>>
>> switchdesk xfce says it switched to xfce.
>>
>> What do I need to look for? With all the earth moving under our feet
>> because of /usr merge and systemd, I have no idea where else needs to
>> be set up.
>
> It sounds as if /etc/systemd/system/default.target is symbolically linked to /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.

I kept thinking /lib was not where I wanted to be looking.

> You'd want to change that to link to /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target

Wonder which man entry had the typo that lead me down that garden path.

(What with all the illogical things happening in the merge, I had no
confidence they wouldn't put a setting in /lib.)

Thanks.

> --
> Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

Was he talking about intellectual property lawyers, there?

--
Joel Rees