Enabling Wireless network without NetworkManager

Jim binarynut at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 16:06:02 UTC 2012

On 12/30/2012 05:53 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>>> i may be looking at this wrong, tho i am curious if you
> have run
>>> "iwconfig" to set up your wireless interface.
>> yes, It showed ifcfg-wlan0 in my orignal message
> I would run iwconfig or ifconfig
> to see what the interface is called,
> and then
>    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> if it is called wlan0.
> Maybe also (if necessary)
>    iwconfig wlan0 ssid SSID-NAME
>    iwconfig wlan0 key YOUR-KEY
>    iwconfig wlan0 mode RESTRICTED or OPEN

It won't accept the key and the mode.   It will only accept Mode as
Managed.  the key is the one in the router, under Wireless Security .

The problem is the wireless network is not starting.  It cannot find the
Gateway 192.168.1.1 , and that is the correct setting

How do you start the wireless network ?

Remember I'm not using NetworkManager