USB Live Install problem -

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 23:08:22 UTC 2012

Well, since you've solved it using a real drive, this is a bit late, but, ...

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> On 29/12/12 13:14, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA writes:
>>
>>>            Is there a way I can install without using the USB flash
>>>            drive? There is no optical drive in that box. Is there a
>>>            scheme for installing over the LAN connection?
>>

>> Yes, but first you need to make sure that your target computer supports
>> booting over the network. Poke in its BIOS, see if you can find some option
>> that's described somewhere along the lines as being able to boot over the
>> network. There's usually an option somewhere that sets the order in which
>> the BIOS attempts to boot, whether the first device is the hard drive, or
>> the CD/DVD ROM, or USB. If one of those options is a network boot, you're
>> good to go. That's presuming that this is a network port on the motherboard.
>> If you have a standalone network card, the card should have its own internal
>> BIOS that you can enter during the boot, with an option to enable booting.
>>
>> The Fedora installation guide has instructions for installing Fedora over
>> the network, using a network-based boot, so I guess you can follow along,
>> but you'll need to verify that your motherboard supports a network-based
>> boot, first, otherwise you'll be wasting your time.
>>
>> I use a different, slightly order method, BTW, of manually setting up
>> DHCP, TFTP, and isolinux.
>>

>    Ok, I will save this and give it a try but for the present I tried
>    "livecreator" with an external hard drive instead of the flash
>    drive. For whatever reason the hard drive worked with out a hitch.

usb drives are known to be pretty finicky. They are built cheap
firstmost and foremost.

But, something I found worked for me, after reading the warning about
the reset mbr option, run it from the command line and add the reset
master boot record option:

liveusb-creator --reset-mbr

I'm guessing this will be especially useful for drives that have been
reformatted and such.

(Use the --help option to find more options.)

>    The installer was difficult for me to use, among other things gray
>    text on a light gray background, I gave up and used the install
>    defaults ...
>
>    Thank you,

(I've been thinking we need to re-emphasize the install processes that
don't require rebooting just to start the install.)

--
Joel Rees