adios flash, watch youtube videos in html5

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 01:14:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Fulko Hew wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Dennis Kaptain <dkaptain at yahoo.com.mx>wrote:
>
>>> De: Itamar Reis Peixoto <itamar at ispbrasil.com.br>
>>> msn, google talk: itamar at ispbrasil.com.br
>>
>> I am running Fedora 16 x86_64 with Firefox 9.0.1
>> The site this link takes me to says my browser does not support h.264.
>> WebM is supported
>

> The site says you need h.264 OR WebM, so it supposedly works;
> trouble is... how can you tell?

I successfully played two YouTube videos via HTML5 using Firefox 9.0.1.
They both played through all the way with no noticable glitches but I did
notice that full-screen mode made the video take over only the whole of
the Firefox browser window rather than the entire screen.

If you right-click on the video window while it's playing, you'll see a
menu with several options including "About HTML5". I took the presence of
that option to be proof that HTML5 rather than Flash was in use.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
Email: d-ulrick at comcast.net