IP address incorrectly assigned on boot

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sat Feb 4 22:15:18 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 06:49:30 PM, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/02/03 16:52, Rick Stevens wrote:

> /etc/hosts

> address

> router
> the
> >>
> >> Your suspicion was correct. I replaced the one in use with the one
> from
> >> ifconfig. Unfortunately that did not fix the problem.
> >>
> >> I need a tutorial on assigning MAC addresses, as they are
> inconsistent
> >> on the server and client. Is it correct that the MAC address is
> the
> >> same as HWADDR in the ifcfg file? And why would the value change
> when
> >> the hardware did not?
> >
> > They're supposed to be the same. The only way to be sure is to
> actually
> > see what the driver assigned as the MAC address:
> >
> > $ cat /sys/class/net/wlan0/address
> >
> > What's returned by that is the MAC address as set up by the driver.
> > That should match the value in the ifcfg file's HWADDR field.
>
> There is also the little pesky detail that the computer remembers the
> address
> that it last used and requests that of the DHCP server. Modulo the
> server
> involved it will give the requested address regardless of whether it
> has a
> formal assignment for that MAC to another address or not. You may
> have
> tell the computer to formally release the current DHCP assignment
> before
> going off to request a new one.
>
> {o.o}   Been bit by this one before. It's also painful to change a
> computer's
>          name on a network in which the dhcpd updates the named.
> Absurdly short
>          TTLs helps.

OK, I believe I've isolated the source of the problem.  The wireless
interface on pvr (the client) is a USB device, (Roswell RNX-G) delivers
a different MAC address on reboot and whenever its removed and replaced
in its USB socket. When the MAC changes, the router delivers a new IP
address, and everything I've observed follows.

I presume that the Roswell RNX-G requires replacement, unless someone
has a better idea.

Thanks to all who offered advice.