IP address incorrectly assigned on boot

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sat Feb 4 23:16:15 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 02:32:33 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 04.02.2012 23:30, schrieb Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> >
> > On 02/04/2012 04:20 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> is this a notebook? there is really no need of DHCP if you want to
> > assign a static address why using layers over layers for static
> data
> > at all?
> >
> > I can give you a couple of reasons. First of all, if you use the
> > notebook on more then one network, you may need to use DHCP on some
> > of them. It works out better to have your home network use DHCP and
> > get a fixed address.
>
> and that is why my first question was IS IT A NOTEBOOK!

That depends on what the meaning of "is" is. :-)

The "network" looks like this. A notebook (mtranch, the server)
hardwired to a router that in turn is connected to the internet. Said
router receives a wireless feed from a standard PC (pvr, the client)
whose only function is to receive HDTV via hardwired ethernet. The
wireless connection is used by pvr to connect to mtranch for admin and
to the internet for updates.

The notebook sits on my desk and does not go walkabout.

I'm clueless about DHCP. Pointers would be appreciated.