yum cachedir

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:46:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick question
>
> I want to keep the yum cache
> in yum.conf it's
> cachedir=/nfs/yum/$basearch/$releasever
>
> Would anyone see a problem for my needs in changing it to:
> cachedir=/nfs/yum/$releasever (which would be shared on the lan)
>
> that way I only need download "noarch" files once,
> for both i386\x86_64

That won't work.  There are a few files in that directory that are
arch-specific and have identical names (repomd.xml being the most
important), so both arches would trample over each other.

Symlinking /nfs/yum/i386/packages and /nfs/yum/x86_64/packages to the
same directory ought to be okay though, and would achieve the desired
effect.

-T.C.