Amarok hangs with recursive search enabled

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sun Feb 5 22:20:39 UTC 2012

On Friday before applying a f16 update I was using Amarok. I don't use
it often but it seemed to be working OK. Then after the upgrade, on
restarting amarok, it asked my location (US) for Amazon store which I
entered (don't remember being asked that before). Anyhow, after the
upgrade, Amarok would run for a short time and then hang with lots of
disk activity going on but continue play a song. After killing it I
noticed a amarokcollection indexer running in the background which I
also killed.

After starting it a back a few more times with the same result (Amarok
hangs with the collection program running hard) I found that I had to
disable recursive directory searches to prevent this in Amarok preferences.

I think maybe amarok uses mysql but not sure. After this same upgrade
that I applied on Friday, indexing a large LXR database with mysql took
a *very* long time, as I mentioned in an previous post. Both of these
problems seems to start after the Friday update that included a mysql
update and possibly an amarok upgrade too. (LXR is a add-on sourceforge
program that consists of perl scripts and is not part of Fedora.)

-gene