Samsung RF711-S02 anyone?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Feb 6 19:19:19 UTC 2012

On 01/28/2012 05:10 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I'm shopping for a desktop-replacement-grade laptop. The Samsung RF711-
> S02 (Intel i7/4G DDR3 /750 GB / 17") looks like it might be a good fit.
> BUT, can't find any info on Linux-compatibility. Anyone have data on
> that?
>
> Thanks.

Just bought a MSI GT783 for work.  I build custom Fedora/CentOS LiveCDs
regularly for my current client.

Its a game machine, but is has good processor speed, good memory speed,
a good SSD, and a good HD.  This frees up my work desktop during those
builds, when my desktop would hang during several parts of the build.
Quite annoying.  Plus, this laptop spins my custom LiveCD image much
faster than my work desktop.

When at home, I can leave this running at my desk for work and work
support, while I use my real game machine. :)

The best part:  Fedora 16 installed and ran flawlessly with the
commercial nvidia blob and nouveau turned off. Install with
nouveau.modeset=0

Good Luck!