root password

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 7 10:01:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 22:28 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> The right way is to boot into single user mode. These will also work
> if your account has sudo access
>
> sudo su -
>
> or
>
> sudo /etc/shadow
>
> and remove the root password, then login as root and reset the
> password
>
> or
>
> sudo passwd root

Seems like you're all (the different solutions offered by various
people) doing much more than you need to.  If you do manage to boot into
the single user mode, you will typing in a terminal as the root user.
All you have to do, next, is use the "passwd" command by itself, and
enter a new password.  There's no need to su or sudo, nor edit any files
where passwords are stored.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686