preupgrade grub2 failed: now can't boot

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 23:23:55 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 08:49 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 19:48 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
>
>> grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sdg
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small.
>> core.img won't fit in it..
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
>> installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
>> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>>
>> What do I do now! Embedding area???
>
> This is the area at the beginning of the disk, before the first
> partition. Grub2 needs the first partition to start at 2048, but default
> partition layouts from Grub-1 systems start at 63. I have run into this
> several times and it is a royal pain. There may be some games you can
> play with gparted (shrink the partition, then move it), or you can do
> like I did, which is to dump the first partition, change it to start at
> 2048 (shrinking it a bit), making a new file system on the new
> partition, and restoring it.
>
> --Greg

Wow! Not to belabor the obvious, but why doesn't preupgrade check this
at the beginning. Or reinstall grub1. Anything would be better than
leaving you with an unbootable brick.

I've created a grub1 stanza that boots F16. In fact, the ubuntu grub2
wiki shows how to chainload grub2 from grub1 - which is pretty neat but
probably useless. Interestingly, the kernel upgrade to 3.2.3 changed
grub.conf as well as grub.cfg!

Can I just stay with grub1?  I really don't want to mess with gparted
wizardry on my boot partition. Unless there are some really clear
instructions on how to move the beginning address. As I remember, you
shrink by moving the ending address.

sean