Android anyone?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Feb 8 01:04:39 UTC 2012

Alan Cox wrote:

>> I'm looking for something much lower down the intellectual ladder.
>
> funambol is probably what is aimed lower down the ladder and for real
> deployment including large sites.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After some investigation, I went to <https://my.funambol.com/>
and registered (giving the number of my Android phone).
Now when I clicked on Home=>Applications on the phone,
I found a new icon Funambol Sync .
On clicking on this, I was invited to Sync All,
which I clicked on.
This failed the first time,
but the second it sync-ed in succession
Contacts, Calendar, Pictures, Videos, Files .
Now I find I have all the contacts from the SIM card,
which had not been visible on the phone.

[I've explained what I did, as it seemed less than obvious to me.]

I've also downloaded and installed the Linux (64-bit) funambol*.bin
on my CentOS-6 server,
which seems to run fine (ie a number of funambol applications are running)
though I'm not entirely clear how to use it.
I shall continue my study of this new world.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net