preupgrade grub2 failed: now can't boot

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 02:52:40 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 22:31, sean darcy wrote:
> preupgrade failed for some reason to install the grub2 bootloader.
> /boot/grub2 exists.
>
> I made an F16 livecd. edited /boot/grub/grub.conf:
>
> default=0
> timeout=2
> title 3.2.2
> kernel /vmlinuz-3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64
> root=UUID=017cd53d-21ae-43b5-b8ce-b23b15092273 ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0
> rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> initrd /initramfs-3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>
> all taken from grub2/grub.cfg.
>
> It booted, but then died with a dracut prompt - and I had no clue what
> to do then.
>
> Running grub2-install from the livecd doesn't work. Ubuntu seems to have
> a tool "boot-repair" on their livecd, but I can't find anything like
> that on Fedora.
>
> So,
>
> How do I boot the using grub - so I can run grub2-install natively?
>
> OR how do I install grub2 from the livecd - or otherwise?
>
> sean

Is there any way so install grub2 on a disk? I have seen there is
supposed to be a grub-rescue application that will make a bootable
rescue disk. I cannot find this on Fedora-16.

My goal is to copy updated distribution I have made to other machines. I
wish to partition the drive, copy my executing system to the drive, and
make it bootable. Should not this be easy?

Don