Initrd and bootup issue

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:39:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I need to load a kernel on my system but I've got a raid device which
needs a new driver added to initrd in order for it to be picked on
bootup when the kernel loads.

I've created the initrd by placing the module in a directory I created
in the initrd filesystem under: "/lib/modules/`uname
-r`/mydriver/mega.ko"

My problem is that when the kernel boots I get an error similar to

finding /dev/sda1 ....

It then fails and drops me to a shell, which I gather is the initrd
filesystem shell. Inside there if I issue the command modprobe mega.ko
the system finds the raid card, I then exit the shell and the server
boots up fine normally using the new kernel. My question is why does
this happen? I've added the module entry to the modules.dep file in
the initrd filesystem under: "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep" and
running "modpobe -l" under teh initrd shell correctly shows this.

I must be missing a step, can someone please help me fix this?

Many thanks
Dan