Yum and Fedora 16

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Feb 8 22:36:20 UTC 2012

On Feb 8, 2012 11:50 AM, "n2xssvv.g02gfr12930" <
n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/12 18:37, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >

> > Am 08.02.2012 19:27, schrieb n2xssvv.g02gfr12930:
> >>
> >> Currently I'm using Fedora 14, but after upgrading my PC I decided to
> >> try and install Fedora 16 from the KDE spin, (no problem). The problem
> >> arises when trying to do yum updates, I get multiple errors, some of
> >> which stop Fedora 16 from shutting down. Sadly, based on this
> >> experience, and previous experience trying to upgrade to Fedora 15 I'm
> >> considering looking into another Linux distribution. My patience with
> >> these problems, (2+ days already), is rapidly wearing thin! Piecemeal
> >> updating by trial and error makes for a less than friendly release!
> >>
> >> Looks like I may have to wait for Fedora 17 for a yum friendly release.
> >
> > * describe you problem exactly
> > * describe the packages changing behavior
> > * describe you hardware
> >
> > and first please read your post and think about what you could
> > do with this informations as a foreigner!
> >
> > normally i owuld downgrade all packages introducing the problems
> > and update them one by one to identifie what triggers the problem
> >

> If only I could get repeatable errors! Rest assured I've been
> persistent, but I've never had this many problems when
> installing/upgrading a Fedora release. If another Linux distribution can
> install and upgrade more easily then why should I persist with Fedora?
> How much time would you be prepared to spend continually trying to
> update with yum? No offence to anybody, but after persisting with Fedora
> since Fedora core 2 I'm somewhat disappointed.
> --

I'm not clear on your problem, so I can only help with questions.

It sounds like you performed a new install from the KDE livecd, on new
hardware, and while the install succeeded, you are unable to update the
system.  Is this correct?

Are your problems with yum describeable? Did updates ever work?

Have you tried anything besides repeated 'yum update' attempts?

It might be helpful to your potential supporters to have more information.