preupgrade grub2 failed: now can't boot

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 9 02:07:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 18:57 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:

> This last part seems not to be true. Someone else pointed out that there
> is a way to force grub2 to install on a disk with only 63 free blocks at
> the beginning

Which brings up another related question. Is it possible to install
grub2 into a partition? In the past I have done this so that I can have
the main disk boot block reference a grub.conf which is only chainloader
declarations (boot Linux, or boot Windows), and then  I have another
partition that has grub on it that presents the usual choice of Linux
kernels that are currently installed.

The reason I do this is so that I can hibernate Linux, then boot
Windows, then come back to my hibernated Linux. Without the
chainloading, what happens after hibernation is that, upon restart, it
immediately launches into restoring the hibernated configuration and I
lose the ability to save a hibernated Linux while running Windows.

I'm just wondering how I can accomplish this in grub2.

--Greg