Yum and Fedora 16

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 16:34:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:08:10 +0100, suvayu ali wrote:
	[....]
> AFAIK, a live media cannot
> update or upgrade a system. It tries to copy the diskimage as is.

	That chimes with my experience. I unthinkingly did "yum update"
while a machine was running a live medium, and it snarled it up royally.

	Booting to Linux rescue didn't work, supergrubdisk didn't work,
Recovery is Possible didn't work, etc. I finally grabbed the biggest
hammer of all, DBAN. After running a whole day, that predicted it would
take three weeks to finish.

	I aborted DBAN with the power switch, and did a fresh install
from DVD. It seems to be all right now, and I'm gradually pulling things
back from my backup as they arise.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User