Error in password file?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 16:39:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 14:43 -0800, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> On 2/8/12, don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > When I execute pwck to verify integrity of password files and received
> > the following:
> >
> > sudo pwck
> > user 'adm': directory '/var/adm' does not exist
> > user 'uucp': directory '/var/spool/uucp' does not exist
> > user 'gopher': directory '/var/gopher' does not exist
> > user 'avahi-autoipd': directory '/var/lib/avahi-autoipd' does not exist
> > user 'oprofile': directory '/home/oprofile' does not exist
> > user 'saslauth': directory '/var/empty/saslauth' does not exist
> > user 'pulse': directory '/var/run/pulse' does not exist
> > invalid password file entry
> >
> > How should this be fixed?
> >
> > Don
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi
>
> I don't believe every user has a directory..
>
> I think you are  "Good to GO!"
>
> Marvin

I don't know if you are good to go but when I run: sudo pwck
on my machine except the last entry is:
pwck: no changes

instead of: invalid password file entry

so that is the output that would worry me. It seems you have an invalid
entry in the passwd file. It would be nice if the program gave you a
hint which entry it is complaining about.

Of course you can't flap your arms and fly to the moon. After a while
you'd run out of air to push against.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net