Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Feb 9 22:09:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:53:13 -0800
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 02/09/2012 10:34 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > On 09/02/12 18:30, Joe Zeff wrote:
> >
> > One question, though: will there be a way to
> >> recover the disk space used by the now-redundant directories?
> >
> > Just 4 symlinks are left?
> >

> It wasn't clear to me if everything in the old directories was
> deleted or not before being replaced with the symlinks.  After all,
> one way to do it would be to move /bin to /oldbin before creating the
> link, in case something doesn't get copied over correctly.  If so,
> either the copy needs to be removed at the end of the process or
> there should be a script to do the cleanup if/when you decide that
> the backup isn't needed any longer.

The dracut conversion script should do this:

"Any files with conflicting names, which the conversion could not
resolve, will be backed up to files named *.usrmove~ residing
in /usr/lib, /usr/lib64, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin."

So, the /lib, /lib64, /bin, /sbin dirs and their contents are
completely replaced by the symlinks.

kevin