screen resolution

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 22:30:40 UTC 2012

<snip>
> >> If you don't see your 1920x1080 in there, then you can forcing it by
> >> trying "xrandr --mode 1920x1080" to see if that'll bite.  If it does,
> >> then you can add appropriate lines to your xorg.conf file.
> > tried what yoou suggest. Although man xrandr says there is a --mode
> > option when I run xrandr --mode I get a response that the option does
> > not exist. Why is that?
>
> Ah, yes.  Try "xrandr --fb 1920x1080".  I think "--mode" was for a
> previous version of xrandr.  Did just "xrandr" show the ability to do
> 1920x1080?  I'm trying to see if your monitor or cable just isn't
> reporting the EDID info properly.
I am not the original poster but I was just trying this method to
configure my screen. In my case 1280x1024. When I ran:
xrandr --fb 1289x1024
I got the error message:
xrandr: Failed to get the size of gamma for output default.

What does that mean?

"I have to convince you, or at least snow you ..." -- Prof. Romas
Aleliunas, CS 435
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net