Yum and Fedora 16 -- focus on "new/moved filesystems"

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Feb 10 15:14:38 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> sorry, but permanently reinstall the OS is a windows-thing
>>> and especially unnaceptable if all 6 months a new version
>>> is available and you have to maintain 2, 5, 10, 20 machines
>>
>> I don't agree - at least if one has 2 or 5 machines to deal with.
>> I always do a fresh install on a new partition,
>> leaving the /home partition untouched.
>> (I don't think this is a "Windows thing";
>> I don't even know if it is possible under Windows.)
>
> you are a simple desktop-user with your stuff
> in /home, if you are develop software and
> integrate workflows in a system for managment
> and so on /home does not interest you much

I don't understand this.
Do you mean you don't have a separate /home partition?
Don't you get any email?
(I keep my email in ~/Maildir/ on my server.)

>>> a scripted dist-upgrade for 20 servers with yum takes around
>>> two hours (proveable by logs) inlcuding download from local
>>> repo-cache
>>
>> What is the script?
>> It seems to me it would have to be pretty complicated.
>> I certainly wouldn't trust any script I wrote to do this.
>
> * prepare the dist-upgrade
> * test it with snapshots
> * rebuild weak packages (missing unit-files, dependencie problems..)
> * build up an internal repo
> * have all machines ONLY this repo as source
> * have all machines cloned from the same master
> * have all machines exepct the repo-cache never seen external repos

This illustrates the difference between us.
It would take me at least 2 days to do the above, not 2 hours.
And when I had done it I would have zero confidence it would work.
In fact I would put money on it not working.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net