Android-tools

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Fri Feb 10 15:15:17 UTC 2012

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:38:07 +0000
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I just want to transfer contacts from my PIM/AddressBook to my phone,
>> and vice versa.
>> But this appears to be impossible?
>
> If you can export contacts in VCARD format you can then import
> the VCARD file from the Contacts app on the phone, but beware
> they will all be invisible till you search for and find the
> settings buried down in some menu I've forgotten how to find
> that says to make locally stored contacts visible as well as
> contacts synced from google.

I too have thought about moving contacts in and out of my phone, but not
just an Android phone (I have the Wife's and kid's phones too).

I know my car (Ford's Sync product) downloads my phonebook via Bluetooth
"PBAP" and I've made a few half-hearted  attempts at looking into this to
on Fedora but have never been successful and didn't spend much time doing
so, partly because I have easy access to a CellBrite unit which downloads
everything for me.

I believe PBAP allows you to not only download from the phone but to
upload to the phone as well, plus I'm guessing that most if not all modern
cell phones with Bluetooth have this capability.

I guess an avenue to solve the problem exists, the question is, is it
possible to get PBAP to work on Fedora/Linux?

Jeff