Cannot boot up after kernel upgrade

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 15:04:40 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 21:59, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Jean Jacques<chaoyzj at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Nvidia and installed it by run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which is
>> downloaded from Nvidia website.
>
> Unfortunately, installing the download directly from Nvidia tends to
> cause problems on kernel upgrades.  I strongly suggest you uninstall
> that version and use the version from RPMFusion [1] instead.  It's
> designed to work with Fedora and handle kernel updates appropriately.
>
> Otherwise, you may need to reinstall the version you installed to get
> it to work properly.
>
> -T.C.
>
> [1] http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
I have perhaps a similar problem with a radeon drover in the 3.2.3-2
kernel. The 3.1.9-1 kernel works fine. The new kernel spews out garbled
messages, something about failing to locate some number of pages. In the
old days of the serial port, you could pipe these messages to another
machine. Any suggestion on how to capture the messages, and what to do
about the kernel distribution. Does it need a driver from RPMFusion? I
did not see one.

Thanks
don