preupgrade grub2 failed: now can't boot

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 19:25:27 UTC 2012

On 02/10/12 16:25, linux guy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Greg Woods<woods at ucar.edu>  wrote:
>
>> All in all, the upgrade to F16 was by far the most difficult Fedora
>> upgrade I have ever done.
>
> I agree !  F15 and F16 were terrible upgrades for me.
>
> However, if you used the Install DVD, it goes very smoothly.
>
> Because of the last 2 upgrades, I've become leary of the preupgrade
> process. I think I'll use the DVD for F17 as well.

Hi,

I have had many problems, as seen by the number of times I have posted
in the past week. There are some things that just make no sense.
1. In the install DVD the provide the option to make your own partition
layout, but there is no provision in the pull down menu to make the
bios-grub partition.
2. Why do they make a /home partition be default. That should be a
choice for those that do not like partitions. (I usually have just a
root partition and a swap partition).
3. Why do they force a boot partition? As far as I know using /boot has
worked since Fedora2.
4. Why is the starting group number 1000? I was assigned the ID/group of
239 back in 1994. All of my systems know me by that number, which is
very convenient when you NFS mount many disks. I exited /etc/login.defs
to allow 239 and have had many mysterious problems. system-config-users
does not appear to work!

Is there a place where the logic for these changes would be documented?
Is there a place where system management from command line is
documented? Some of us do not like sluggish window managers. The old
fvwm does everything I desire, and more.

Don