grub vs. grub2

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 20:48:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Michael Hennebry <
hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>  On 02/11/2012 12:01 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>

>>> I've never had an install go right the first time.
>>>

>> Have you ever tried to find out why?  Part of the testing every new
>>

> I know part of the reason.
> Long before the struggle is over,
> I feel more like killing something than
> writing down what, if anything, I learned.
> The result is that the next install doesn't go any better than the
> previous.
> Usually, I do get an install,
> but there is a lot of "Oh crap, why doesn't that work?".
> Of course, by the time I get that working, I don't
> know most of what I've done to make it work.
>
> All that said, I think it might be useful to
> have my printer turned on during the install.
>
>  version of Fedora is supposed to go through is making sure that it will
>> install correctly on as many different configurations as possible.  Why is
>> your machine different from all of the machines used for testing, and is
>> there anything that can be done to get installations to work right the
>> first time?

I can tell you my "Oh crap ...." after installing F16!
The latest version of Gnome does not give the gnome login prompt. Only a
black screen.
My GPU is the legacy ATI  Radeon Mobility 9600/M10.
So, I have no idea if the problem is with Gnome 3, or with the latest X
driver for my chipset.