grub vs. grub2

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 12 01:31:42 UTC 2012

Am 12.02.2012 02:18, schrieb Sam Varshavchik:
> Greg Woods writes:
>
>> As has been mentioned in other threads, grub2 requires 2048 sectors at
>> the start of the disk. If you were upgrading from a previous version,
>> chances are your disk is not partitioned this way, but instead has only
>> 63 sectors at the start of the disk. In this event, if you attempt to
>> install grub2, or even just update its configuration, you get an
>> "embedded area is too small" error. So I would guess you won't really be
>> using grub2 until your disk has a large enough area for it.
>
> Not exactly. This generally happens only with mdraid volumes. Without mdraid, grub2 should
> fit within 63 sectors, and one of my laptops was succesfully upgraded to F16+grub2, and
> everything got squeezed into the 63 sectors.

the main question here is: was this luck or is it sure

most machines do not have linux-software-raid
so if all of them have no problem with the old partition layout
this all would be relaxed, but even if -> is this now so or
will future versions of GRUB2 be broken with the old layout

Gerät  boot.     Anfang        Ende     Blöcke   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63     1044224      522081   83  Linux

this is a practical question because i have 20 virtual servers
installed/cloned 2008 with the old layout, no RAID because this
is provided by the SAN-STorage behind

my only two machines with RADI1/RAID10 combination were installed
with F14 and have the boot partition starting at 2048, so all
would be well

Gerät  boot.     Anfang        Ende     Blöcke   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048     1026047      512000   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2         1026048    31746047    15360000   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3        31746048  3906971647  1937612800   fd  Linux raid autodetect